Road accidents happen in seconds, and in those crucial moments, things can change forever for everyone involved. While we hope that you remain safe & in good health, you should know the steps to follow after a car crash in Tucson. It is also essential to be aware of your rights, such as filing a lawsuit against the at-fault party to seek financial compensation. Although you can contact an attorney for more info, we recommend that you take these proactive measures without delay.
- Stop and check if someone is injured. Even when if you are okay after the crash, you must check whether other people need help. Stop your vehicle and call 911 if someone needs assistance. It would help if you considered contacting the police without delay. If the other driver tells you to settle things without getting the authorities involved, do not listen to them. You can call the Arizona Department of Public Safety or the Tucson Police Department.
- Exchange information. You need info about the other parties involved in the accident. Exchange details like name, contact information, insurance details, and license info. Make sure you note the contact details of witnesses at the scene.
- Check with an injury doctor later. If you didn’t seek help at the scene of the accident, you should still go for a medical checkup. Injuries related to car crashes, such as concussions and whiplash, often show up weeks after the accident, and you may not have the valuable documentation you need.
- Gather the details you can. Most of us have a smartphone these days, and you need to take all possible steps to ensure that you document the collision in detail. Take pictures and videos of your injuries, and also take pictures of the damaged vehicles and road conditions.
- Get an attorney. One of the best proactive measures that you can take is to have an attorney on your side. You need an experienced and capable injury lawyer who is based in Tucson. Make sure that the lawyer can take the case to trial if required. Car accident claims often require extensive negotiation with the insurance company, and once you have an attorney, you wouldn’t have to worry about the insurance adjuster anymore.
Before you file an accident claim or give a statement to the insurance company, talk to a skilled lawyer. The good news is most law firms in Tucson will offer free consultations.